Saturday 8 March 2014

The 'Belated Happy World Book Day! / Books in the Post' Post!

Happy World Book Day, for the other day, everyone! Hopefully you all enjoyed what you were reading and supported at least one ‘proper’ bookshop by making a purchase. Don’t worry if you didn’t buy anything, I didn’t buy anything either; had every intention of buying a book (like I need any excuse really…) but the day kind of got away from me and now it’s Saturday… Never mind, there’s always next year (and a whole load of days in-between)

What’s the next best thing though? Coming home to find some awesome looking books already waiting for you of course! Have a look at the picture,


‘Sea Kings of Mars’ was a little treat to myself for passing my college course (go me!) As with the Clark Ashton Smith collection, I’ll be reviewing a short story here and there instead of posting my thoughts on the whole book; look out for those posts kind of soonish. This also seems like a good time to say that I love the term ‘planetary romance’ . Give me a little longer to figure out exactly why but, for now, lets just say it’s a much nicer way of saying ‘pulp’ :o)
But anyway…

The book on the left is a proof of Joe Abercrombie’s ‘Half a King’ and I’ll be reading that very soon (hoping it will whet my appetite to finally read ‘The Heroes’ and of course I’m interested to see Joe’s take on YA)
Out of the three books on display, the one I’m most intrigued by is Josh Malerman’s ‘Bird Box’, a horror novel that Harper Collins are predicting good things for (although they would say that, wouldn’t they?) I love to read a little horror every now and then, especially when it’s someone who isn’t one of the big names already taking up shelf space; the blurb definitely looks interesting…

Most people ignored the outrageous reports on the news.
But they became too frequent, they became too real. And soon, they began happening down the street.
Then the Internet died. The television and radio went silent.
The phones stopped ringing.
And we couldn’t look outside anymore.
Malorie raises the children the only way she can; indoors.
The house is quiet. The doors are locked, the curtains are closed, mattresses are nailed over the windows.
They are out there. She might let them in.
The children sleep in the bedroom across the hall.
Soon she will have to wake them. Soon she will have to blindfold them.
Today they must leave the house. Today they will risk everything.

What do you reckon?

No comments:

Post a Comment